The RDU Mobile Food Association (RDUMFA) will be hosting their second annual Tacopalooza food truck rodeo and taco eating competition, August 19 at the popular Knightdale Station park in Knightdale. Be sure to head over to Knightdale this upcoming Sunday for a taco-filled day from 12 PM to 4 PM. With over a dozen food trucks participating, Tacopalooza’s mission is to showcase some of the best tacos in all of the Triangle. The highlight of the event will be watching 10 participants competing in a taco eating contest to see who can eat the most tacos in 3 minutes.
At last year’s Tacopalooza, a Cary based food truck specializing in BBQ won the first ever event for its delicious taco. The Humble Pig was honored for its regular menu favorite, the Pow Chow taco, which features a flash-fried corn tortilla stuffed with their pulled pork and topped with cucumber relish, Alabama White, and sriracha sauces. Bandido’s food truck placed second with its Oxaca taco and the third place award went to the Curry in a Hurry food truck which dished out its popular lamb meatball taco.
Each mobile food vendor is required to only serve tacos or taco themed foods at the event. Admission is free to Tacopalooza to the general public and attendees can purchase as many tacos as you would like directly from each food truck. There will also be a salsa competition amongst the trucks, with the winner being chosen by the general public.
Confirmed food trucks at this Knightdale event
El Rey del Taco
Tacos Las Gringas
Food and fun for the entire family
Expect to find games and fun for the children like a bouncy house and slide, as well as entertainment from La Orcestra Tropica. Drawings for prizes will take place from 1 pm to 3 pm, all of which are donated by the vendors and RDUMFA. Special vendors will be in attendance at Tacopalooza this year, which will include:
Sweet & Sassy Boutique
Broadway Bling: Premier Jewelry
Scentsy with Mallory
LuLaRoe Amy & Elaine
LuLaRoe Megan & Tiffany
Good Vibe Oil Tribe (essential oils)
Paparazzi Jewelry with Ginger Ervine
Tacopalooza 2018 schedule
- 11 AM: A judges panel will convene to select a victor for the best taco. The winning food truck will receive a trophy. Judges include the Soul-Full Sisters, chef Jake Wood of 18 Seaboard, and chefs Clayton Anderson and Aaron Matyac of Whiskey Kitchen.
- 12 PM to 3 PM: The general public can vote for their favorite taco to win the People’s Choice award.
- 1 PM: Up to ten participants will compete in a taco eating contest to see who can eat the most tacos in 3 minutes. The winner will receive a trophy and a $50 gift certificate to spend at any RDUMFA truck. The cost to compete is $10*.
- 2 PM: Children can enjoy a piñata bust filled with candy and prizes.
- 3 PM: Best salsa food truck winner is announced.
* Registration required for taco eating competition via email: email@example.com.
About RDU Mobile Food Association
Founded in 2015, RDU Mobile Food Association (RDUMFA) is a nonprofit organization focused on promoting and advocating mobile food business within North Carolina’s Triangle region. The organization consists of members in the mobile food industry focused on core value of Quality, Safety, and Community.
This post was created in collaboration with the 919 Blog editorial team for exclusive digital publication on 919Blog.com via The Triangle Blog Network